A Little Bit About Us

My photo
Neola, Utah, United States
The Edge Magazine is a lifestyles and culture magazine about the Uintah Basin. We are located in the North-East corner of Utah and we have a TON of fun doing what we do. We feature the positive aspects of the area in which we live with monthly articles, contests, and best of all...PHOTOGRAPHY! We pride ourselves on being able to provide most everyone in your family something that will interest them in the pages of our magazine. We are in our 3rd year of publication and each month keeps getting better and better! We live here, we work here, we love being here and we look forward to seeing you on THE EDGE!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ask The Expert: Fitness Is More Than Skin Deep - February 2011


By: Jacey Bauman
I admit that I get a feeling of satisfaction from putting on three layers of clothing and going for a run in cold weather. I enjoy the contrast of crisp air and warm skin as I race my dogs around a deserted park. Winter is a great time to build a foundation of fitness; then when warm weather arrives you are ready to participate in your chosen activities with confidence. The key to exercising outdoors as comfortably as possible in the cold is to layer your clothing. With the right layers you can easily add or remove clothing to stay comfortable in changing conditions. Remember that hydration is just as important in the cold as it is in the heat, so drink plenty of water. We are lucky that there are lots of options for exercise both indoor and outdoor year round here in the Basin, so keep moving and enjoy were you are.
 Q) I am always busy. I get up early, drive to work, sit in a chair all day, and then drive home. When I get home I have kids to take care of and a house to clean. The thought of working up a sweat for 30+ minutes every day on top of everything else that I do makes me cringe. I know I need to be healthier, I am out of shape and would like to lose weight, but I can't commit a large chunk of time to exercise every day. What else can I do to start getting in shape?
        

A) It is often hard to juggle all of the tasks that we want to accomplish each day. However, I believe that making your health a priority improves all areas of your life and is worth the effort. The key to starting and maintaining an effective exercise program is to work it into your life in a way that does not make it just another chore on your to do list. If 30 minutes of exercise at a time is too difficult, then start with ten. Many experts agree that three ten minute exercise sessions a day can be as effective as one longer session. Find ways to incorporate small moments of exercise into your day. You can find exercises that you can do at your desk and do a few of those every hour, or incorporate exercise into your television watching by either exercising or stretching during every commercial. These small moments add up, and as you become more confident in your physical fitness it will become less of a chore.
 Q) My doctor has warned me that I am on the road to becoming diabetic. Type 2 Diabetes runs strong in my family and though my doctor has said that I am prediabetic, I want to avoid the full blown disease. What kind of exercise program is most effective for preventing diabetes?
    

A) I always recommend checking with your physician when dealing with this kind of question. The advice and guidelines that your doctor can suggest are important to your overall health. Assuming that you have a physician's clearance to begin an exercise program, I would give the following advice.
80% of people with Type 2 diabetes are overweight. The good news is that a relatively small weight loss of 5% to 10% can make a big difference to your health. Studies have shown that the combination of cardiovascular and strength training is most effective for helping prediabetic conditions. Aim for 30 to 45 minutes of a cardio activity you enjoy 3 to 5 times a week. Some suggestions could be walking, swimming, biking, or an elliptical machine. Do 30 minutes or more of strength training exercises two to three times per week. Combine this with healthy eating choices and you give yourself the best chance of maintaining or creating better health.
 Q) For the last 3 years my New Year's resolution has been to lose 15lbs. I always start strong. I plan my diet carefully and exercise hard for 2 or 3 weeks. Every year by week 4 I am dragging myself to the gym, and by February I am back to my old habits. I never lose the weight and I can't seem to make any lasting changes. What am I doing wrong? How can I make myself stick to my goals for more than 2 or 3 weeks?

A) You are not alone. A number of studies report drop-outs from exercise programs reach 50% or more by the end of the first 6 months. It is common for gyms to be crowded with an influx of new people in January, only to be back to "normal" numbers by February or March. You are struggling to make lasting changes because you are starting too strong. Your plan to makeover your diet and increase exercise at the same time is overwhelming and stressful so you cannot maintain it. Instead of changing your diet and exercise habits all at once, set small goals to accomplish one at a time. Ease yourself into your new lifestyle by choosing one or two things to work on each week and by letting yourself build upon small successes. Take your time and once you have a solid foundation of exercise and eating habits, then you will be ready to start making bigger goals.
 Jacey is an ACE Certified Personal Trainer who works with clients either in their home or at Freedom Fitness in Vernal, UT. She specializes in turning fitness goals into reality. To submit a question or for more information contact her at

No comments:

Post a Comment