A Little Bit About Us

My photo
Neola, Utah, United States
The Edge Magazine is a lifestyles and culture magazine about the Uintah Basin. We are located in the North-East corner of Utah and we have a TON of fun doing what we do. We feature the positive aspects of the area in which we live with monthly articles, contests, and best of all...PHOTOGRAPHY! We pride ourselves on being able to provide most everyone in your family something that will interest them in the pages of our magazine. We are in our 3rd year of publication and each month keeps getting better and better! We live here, we work here, we love being here and we look forward to seeing you on THE EDGE!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oh What To Do - February 2011

By: Whitney Lefler

What is there to do in Tabiona? As a Senior at Tabiona High School that is a question that I hear all of the time. My answer, "Follow me around for a while and I will show you. "

    Many people get the perception that life in a small town is quiet and laid back, I have found it to be just the opposite. Tabiona High School has a student body of around fifty students. With so few students we get the opportunity to be involved in anything we choose. Early on I chose sports. And when I say sports, I mean all the sports that are offered in our school. I participate in Volleyball, Basketball, Drill team, Cheerleading, Track, and this year I decided to add Cross Country to my list of fun things to do.     

    For the past four years of my High School career I have had three sports that are all going on at the same time. From November to March, I am involved in Basketball, Drill team, and Cheerleading. With an agenda like this I spend many hours at the school, either for practice or games. There have been times I have been at the school from 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.. Sometimes my mom will say, "Next year you better give something up." I tell her, "I can't I love them all!" So about October I start drinking orange juice, and taking my vitamins, so my body can keep up too!

    It all starts in August with Volleyball, and Cross Country which goes until the end of October. Some days I would have a Cross Country meet, and then have to hurry home for a Volleyball game. That means a one hour or more drive home. I get about a one week break before basketball practice begins. This year I decided I would try out for Homecoming queen during that one week break, just so I wouldn't get bored. Then in November let the games begin, my favorite of all the sports start "Basketball." This might be my favorite sport, but it is also the busiest time of the year for me. On a game night I can change uniforms three different times. I start out in my cheerleading uniform, then at half time of that game I change into my drill team costume and perform at half time, then change back into my cheer uniform to cheer the boys on. Each day can present a different sport as well, one night I play a basketball game, and the next day I am off to a drill team competition, and then cheering at a boys basketball game. Basketball season ends in March. I get a two week break before Track begins.

    Does it all end at the end of the season? Absolutely not! In the summer I attend camps, and we continue with drill team, cheerleading practice , and fund raisers all summer long. As well as work a full time job. In August it starts all over again with Volleyball. Am I complaining? Definitely not! I wouldn't have it any other way.

    Not only have I participated in each sport but I have been a Varsity starter since I was a Freshmen. I have lettered in each sport every year. I have been on the All-State Drill Team for two consecutive years. I have been awarded the MVP in Volleyball, and Track, and the "Best all around Player" in Basketball. As well as being awarded the "Female Athlete of the year" in 2010. My first year in cross country I made it to State. I do not just choose to participate in these sports, I choose to excel.

    At times it gets to be a bit daunting to keep up with my schedule and still maintain a grade point average that will allow me to stay on the team, but I do it. I have been an honor roll student each year as well.

    This year I have decided to add becoming an Emergency Medical Technician to my schedule. I have been taking classes since August. I have class two nights a week, four hours a night. So every Monday and Wednesday I go straight from practice to class. This routine helps me maintain self discipline, and I know that if I can do this I will be prepared for a rigorous schedule at College next fall.

    As I get ready to leave this small town, and go out into Urban America I ask myself, "What is there to do in Provo?"

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment