A Little Bit About Us

My photo
Neola, Utah, United States
The Edge Magazine is a lifestyles and culture magazine about the Uintah Basin. We are located in the North-East corner of Utah and we have a TON of fun doing what we do. We feature the positive aspects of the area in which we live with monthly articles, contests, and best of all...PHOTOGRAPHY! We pride ourselves on being able to provide most everyone in your family something that will interest them in the pages of our magazine. We are in our 3rd year of publication and each month keeps getting better and better! We live here, we work here, we love being here and we look forward to seeing you on THE EDGE!

Friday, September 3, 2010

A Found Jewel - September 2010


By: M. Michelle Spencer
Oscar Wilde was once said, "A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament." And so it is with Vernal's newest art gallery.
    Alycia Frankovich, owner of Alter Ego Photography has just opened her doors to the public and with much churning of the stomach and excited anticipation of what the future now holds, she has found a way to add to the unique appeal that is Old Main Street Vernal.
    Alycia has always had a love fore the arts and is a self confessed shutterbug since the ripe old age of 6.
    "I had an old box style camera held together with tape, I would take pictures of just about anything, flowers, sunsets, my dog, ect. I don't have any formal training. I am completely self taught, but is has been my passion that has kept driving me for the last 20 + years."
    Photography is not the only medium that this multifaceted artist has a propensity for however. Alycia has worked with metal, painting, sculpting, and sketching to name just a few of her other areas of interest. During the last year she created her own line of Fairy Art.
    "I began to do more and more research and I found out that when a fairy dies, they are not really dead, they continue on as a part of their surroundings."
    So with this thought in mind she began work on her limited edition Fay Faie Collection. These one of a kind pieces feature the small delicate skeletons of a fairy. While it may at first seem slightly macabre, one can not help but to stare at these true pieces of art for the simple intrinsic value of what the piece represents when it comes to our own mortality.
    On the lighter side Alycia is excited to work with other local artists in order to create a stronger community for the art world in the Basin. In order to do this she plans to have a featured local artist of the month.
    "I've been through many small towns and walked the main streets and I have seen  several art galleries. Some to shop and some to get inspired, Vernal doesn't offer this and with such a wonderful town and a beautiful main street I figured why not bring something like this here. With some of the photography I have and since I am already selling prints why not. I am starting with literally nothing but my love for the arts,  I do hope to expand into a larger building with larger pieces in the next few years."
    Along side Alter Ego Photography is local resident Shellie Orr. Shellie is the owner of The Sleeping Pear. Shellie is a muralist who got started back when she was living with her husband and children in Phoenix, Arizona.
    "I was born and raised in Vernal, Utah.  I moved to Phoenix when I was 29 and spent 15 years there.  While I was there I came across a wonderful lady that was painting a faux finish on a wall in the Spa that my sister-in-law works at.  The finish was Venetian Plaster and I told her it was one of the prettiest things I had ever seen.  She gave me a job working for a couple days of the week. It was a dream come true for me. "
    Shellie doesn't limit herself to just walls however, she is more than willing to bring her own special mark to any surface you can put in front of her from pebbles to jeans. If it holds still long enough, Shelly may just paint it.
    "I have created a special touch to jeans, lamps pillows ceiling fans, glass, candles, rocks, a diesel truck  and just about anything you can imagine.  I love to add special touches to anything. I specialize in all faux finishes like marble, suede, leather, linen weave ect."
    The most important thing out of all of this though, is that Alycia and Shellie simply want you to stop by and see the little bit of sparkle that they are adding to the Uintah Basin. From prints to one of a kind art pieces, there is something for just about everyone in that little jewel at the top of the stairs on Main Street in Vernal.


Alter Ego Gallery and photography studio is located at 64 E Main Street in Vernal, UT at the top of the stairs Appointments Are Encouraged, call: 801-783-8320  
 To reach Shellie Orr with The Sleeping Pear call 435-790-1843


  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment